10.25.2011

Thankful --> The Poor Will Be Glad

Today, I am thankful for this book:

"The Poor Will Be Glad" by Peter Greer & Phil Smith. My roommate picked this book up this weekend at the I AM NOW conference and I'm only a part of the way into it. I've always been concerned with the poverty here in America, starting with the homeless people and my roommate knows this. Every time I see a homeless person, my heart breaks and I'm motivated to do something. Sadly, this motivation doesn't last. I began reading this book last night and I'm a little into chapter 2 and my eyes have been opened so wide. These people, these beautiful people, are living in the worst conditions imaginable and we have the nerve to complain about petty things like not having enough jeans or not having a Diet Dr. Pepper?! These people don't have enough food, water, clothing, and their living conditions suck to put it nicely.

This excerpt from this book hit me so hard last night:
                     "When a friend gave a T-shirt to a boy in Zambia, the boy's grateful response was, 'Now when I wash my shirt, I do not have to be naked when it dries'."
Are you kidding me? Why is this okay? Why aren't we doing everything we can to help. This is why I love organizations like TOMS, Wishing Well, HOPE International, etc. If you haven't heard of these organizations, look them up. It'll make you think twice and encourage you to help change the lives of these people.

Here's the opening Bible verse for this book:
"The poor will see and be glad --
   you who seek God, may your hearts live!
The Lord hears the needy
   and does not despise his captive people."
-Psalm 69:32-33


What have you done lately to help someone in need? Be thankful for what you have every moment of every day. There are those who have it way worse then you and I am positive they'd be willing to switch their problems for yours!

-Cherish

No comments:

Post a Comment