8.02.2010

I have an answer!

The preacher from my home church answered my question about 1 Corinthians 11:5-6 and in case any of you guys were wondering, I will post the answer.


To answer your question about I.Cor.11:5,6 you must first understand the backgound of the Corinth church and the happenings in the city of Corinth. The church Paul is writing to has had many hardships in staying seperated from sin. They have experienced incest and harlotry. In chapter 11, Paul instructs them on Christian order. One sign of prostitution at the time in Corinth was women with short hair (or as Paul says in the Greek, uncovered). It was dishonorable for a woman of God to shave or cut her hair short because she could be mistaken for a prositute. Some women who had been prostitutes but then were baptized used a veil to cover their once shaven heads, honoring God by being covered. Look at verse 15, it says plainly that long hair is a glory to her and is her covering. Don't worry, hair styles change and society gives its meaning to things generation after generation. The important lesson we must learn as did the first century church is to be careful how we live and watch the example we set for others because society is watching our every move.

Hope this helps.

In Him,
Cherish

1 comment:

  1. Good question and I'm so glad you found an answer... At the end when you said, "... is to be careful how we live and watch the example we set for others because society is watching our every move." It reminds me of a great verse that is a great reminder when out in the world and with our fellow Christians - 2 Corinthians 6:2-4 "For he says, 'In the time of my favor I heard you, and in the day of salvation I helped you.' I tell you, now is the time of God's favor, now is the day of salvation. We put no stumbling block in anyone's path, so that our ministry will not be discredited. Rather, as servants of God we commend ourselves in every way: in great endurance; in troubles, hardships and distresses."

    ReplyDelete